The Von Martius Museum occupies the former headquarters of Barreira do Soberbo Farm, in Guapimirim, within the Serra dos Órgãos National Park. The farm received important guests in the nineteenth century, such as the Emperor D. Pedro II, Princess Elizabeth, and the German naturalist Friedrich Philipp Von Martius, honored by the museum. The researcher was a member of the scientific mission sent to Brazil by the Bavarian and Austrian governments, in 1817. Von Martius toured various regions of Brazil, horseback riding for three years before he stayed at the Soberbo Farm.
The farm was incorporated into the environmental heritage of the country in 1939, when President Getúlio Vargas created the Serra dos Órgãos National Park. The museum houses the permanent exhibition Flora Brasiliens, a show about Von Martius; researches, and a model of the entire park area. The mansion has been restored to preserve its original character and features, in addition to a video library, an auditorium for lectures, courses, and seminars for up to 40 people. The site is the headquarters of the Serra dos Órgãos National Park in Guapimirim.
Address: KM 98 from Rio-Teresópolis Road (Santos Dumont road)
Phone: +55 (21) 3633-1898
Opening Hours: Everyday from 8am to 5pm