Currently the headquarters of the Army’s 1st Division’s Divisional Artillery Group, the Santa Cruz da Barra Fortress was one of Rio de Janeiro’s most important defense outposts during colonial and imperial times. Its history begins in 1555, when French Admiral Nicolau Durand de Villegaignon set up two firing positions to protect the location. In 1612, it was named Santa Cruz Fortress. To this day it is looked after by a number of soldiers and now welcomes two thousand visitors per month for the 45-minute guided tours.
Long in extension and with an imposing architectural design, the Santa Cruz Fortress is one of Niterói’s most amazing tourism spots. Visitors have access to prisoner cells and old torture chambers. Firing marks are still visible in the walls. One can also go inside the colonial-style Santa Bárbara chapel or enjoy the great view of the Guanabara Bay.
Those who wish to use the fortress as a film or video location must approach it with the specific intent of promoting the preservation of a historical patrimony as well as promoting Brazilian history. Location shoots for other purposes and uses must keep these parameters in mind so as not to infringe them.
Address: Estrada General Eurico Gaspar Dutra, s/n, Niterói – RJ, 24370-375
Phone: +55 (21) 2710-2354