The Palácio Imperial de Petrópolis, built from 1845 to 1862, was the residence of the emperor D. Pedro II. After the proclamation of the Brazilian republic in 1889, princess Isabel rented a part of it to the Colégio Notre Dame de Sion and later to the Colégio São Vicente de Paulo. In 1940, the then-president Getúlio Vargas proclaim the Palca as Museu Imperial. Three years later, one of the most important brazilian museums was open to the public.
Address: Rua da Imperatriz, 220 – Centro, Petrópolis – RJ
Phone: (24) 2233-0300